Foursquare Studio Developer Community Code of Conduct
Welcome to the Foursquare Community! Use this channel to get support, share your work and connect with fellow geospatial enthusiasts. By participating in this community, you are agreeing to abide by this Code of Conduct. All members of the Community are expected to abide by this Code of Conduct.
As a community of developers with a shared interest in all things geospatial, we encourage lively discussion among all of our members and expect each of our members to help maintain a friendly, engaging community. While contributing to the Foursquare Community members should:
Our community is a welcome home to and supportive of people of all backgrounds and identities. This includes, but is not limited to members of any race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, immigration status, educational level, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, political belief, religion, and ability.
When communicating with others (especially over the internet), disagreements and frustrating moments are bound to occur, and that’s ok! While we don’t always have to agree, it is of the utmost importance that we always treat each other with kindness and respect. We do not tolerate personal attacks, ever. It’s important to remember that a community where people feel apprehensive, uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one. Also keep in mind that we are an international community, so you might not be communicating in somebody else’s primary language.
This community exists to foster conversation, answer questions, encourage collaboration and simply connect fellow geospatial fans. Help guide new members and work together to solve more complex geospatial questions. In short, if you’re here you likely have knowledge that will benefit others – share that knowledge generously!
Some community members are curious geospatial novices, some are respected experts. No matter where you fall on that spectrum, nobody is perfect. Be self-aware and always be respectful.
Use this community to feed your brain. Seek out new knowledge from new people. Be adaptable, and always be ready to change. Be a life-long learner.
Be careful and deliberate with your words and actions
As a community of professionals, we expect members to maintain a level of professionalism and be courteous and respectful of others. Harassment and other forms of improper behavior aren’t acceptable. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Threats or violent language
- Discriminatory jokes and language
- Sexually explicit or violent content
- Sharing or threatening to share personally identifying information (“doxing”)
- Personal insults, especially those aimed toward a user’s background, family, gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, age, native language, abilities, national origin, location, religion, political affiliation, or other personal attributes
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Intimidation or harassment of others. In general, if someone asks you to stop, then stop
- Encouraging behavior that falls into any of the above categories
Be open minded during disagreements
As with any large community comprised of people with different backgrounds, experiences, and talents, disagreements will happen. When handled correctly, disagreements can be productive and lead to opportunities for growth and learning. It is important that we address any disagreements or differing views constructively. Make the effort to understand the root of a disagreement. Remember that to err is human, and focus on helping to resolve issues and learning from mistakes rather than assigning blame and engaging in fruitless arguments.
Be mindful of the venue
This channel is run by Foursquare Studio to contribute to the overall geospatial and developer communities. We ask that you be mindful of this, what you are posting and avoid behaviors such as:
- Impersonation of Foursquare employment
- Unwanted solicitation of services
- Spamming” messages across multiple channels for added visibility or posting the same message or similar message frequently within the same channel and/or in direct messages to users
- Posting of job opportunities
- Sharing non-community related topics to this group
Understand that speech and actions have consequences, and unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated.
- If violations occur, Foursquare will take any action deemed appropriate, up to and including expulsion
Updates to this Code of Conduct
Foursquare may update this code of conduct at any time. When updates do occur, we will post a message in the appropriate channels to notify community members.