Senior Data Engineerat Foursquare
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by our mobile apps CityGuide and Swarm, as well as the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands, like Amazon, Microsoft, Samsung, Spotify, Uber, Airbnb and others.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places, Visits and Movements), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Studio).
Learn more at location.foursquare.com
About the Position
Foursquare is looking for a Software Engineer to join the Movements team and work on faithfully reconstructing people’s movement in the real world and associating stops to places of interest. We rely heavily on GPS data to reconstruct the daily diaries for mobile devices, while protecting user privacy. Our tech stack helps businesses use location to guide decision-making and unlock revenue opportunities, by detecting and segmenting different types of motion at scale.
In this role, you’ll
- Build and maintain new data processing pipelines that will be used by our clients and other Foursquare teams
- Build resilient services and tooling that will drive and improve the processing of petabytes of geospatial data
- Write test automation, conduct code reviews, and take end-to-end ownership of production deployments
What you’ll need
- BS/BA in a technical field, such as computer science or equivalent relevant experience
- 5+ years of experience in software development working with production-level code
- Experience with Python programming language
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to identify and communicate data-driven insights
- Strong algorithms and data structures knowledge
Your own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, we encourage and welcome you to still apply!
Nice to have experiences:
- Large-scale data analytics (preferably with PySpark framework)
- Relational or document-oriented database systems
- Poetry dependency management and packaging tool
- AWS EMR
Our Tech Stack:
- Languages: Python, Java, Scala
- Tools for pipeline orchestration: Airflow
- Frameworks: PySpark
- Infrastructure: AWS, Kubernetes, Docker
- Data stores: SQL and NoSQL
Benefits and Perks
- We are a fully flexible company that allows you to work from any location in Serbia or from our Belgrade office
- 25 days of paid vacation
- Private medical insurance
- Education stipend
- Home Office Setup, you get all the necessary hardware
- Summer Fridays, two non-working Fridays each July and August
- Learning and development programs
- Professional coaching
- Restricted Stock Units
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.