Staff Engineer - Placesat Foursquare
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands.
Foursquare is looking for a Staff Engineer to join our team!
About the team: The successful candidate will join the Places team, which is the main owner of Foursquare’s Places products. We combine billions of individual pieces of information into a comprehensive dataset of hundreds of millions of places around the world. From restaurants to bars, stores to parks, hotels to colleges, our database spans every type of point-of-interest across the world. The Foursquare places database is considered the largest and highest quality independent dataset in the world. In addition to powering our branded products, Places is the location layer for the internet, powering the location features of tens of thousands developers.
About the role: The Staff Engineer will set the architectural direction to improve and measure the quality of the data in our Places products. They will lead stages of design, implementation, orchestration, and deployment of pipelines and tools that handle vast amounts of data in a distributed environment. In addition, they will be able to communicate decisions, updates, and trade-offs to external parties, including the product and go-to-market teams. They will focus on how their own daily activities and those of their team improve the health and effectiveness of the entire engineering organization, and how their team's domain can best serve the needs of the entire business.
In this role, you’ll
- Contribute to broad architectural guidance to meet strategic organizational and business needs
- Incorporate new tools and technologies to optimize development, monitoring, and quality assurance of our products
- Design, build, deploy, and orchestrate solutions that directly enhance our Places products and client deliveries
- Act as a force multiplier, supporting and mentoring junior engineers, conducting code reviews, and coordinating cross-team efforts
- Drive adoption of engineering and project management best practices in the engineering org
- Participate in organizational planning and Product decisions
What you'll need
- B.Sc. in a technical field such as computer science
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering working with production-level code
- Proficiency with at least one object oriented programming language (preferred Scala, Java, Python)
- Experience with distributed computing frameworks, such as Spark and Hadoop MapReduce
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
- Experience with machine learning, and optionally natural language processing, large language models, MLOps tools, pipeline scheduling/orchestration tools (e.g., Airflow), and containerized management (e.g., kubernetes) is a plus
- Your own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, we encourage and welcome you to still apply!
Benefits and Perks
- Fully Flexible Workplace - work from home, one of our offices or a combination of the two!
- Unlimited PTO - rest and recharge when you need it!
- Industry Leading Healthcare - comprehensive and competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- Savings and Investments - 401(k) with company match
- Home Office Setup - you get all necessary hardware and internet reimbursement
- Family Planning and Fertility Programs - programs via Carrot and Maven
- Employee Resource Groups - to help you stay connected
Things to know…
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Foursquare, we are committed to providing competitive pay and benefits that are in line with industry and market standards. Actual compensation packages are based on a wide array of factors unique to each candidate including but not limited to skill set, years & depth of experience, and specific office location.
Salary is just one component of Foursquare’s total compensation package, which includes restricted stock units, multiple health insurance options, and a wide range of benefits!