Software Engineerat Foursquare
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by our mobile apps CityGuide and Swarm, as well as the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands, like Amazon, Microsoft, Samsung, Spotify, Uber, Airbnb and others.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Studio).
About the Position
Foursquare is looking for a Software Engineer to join our team!
The Places Team is responsible for building Foursquare's Places Engine. We combine billions of individual pieces of information into a comprehensive dataset of hundreds of millions of places around the world. The database spans every type of point-of-interest across the world with over a thousand different types of places such as restaurants, stores, parks, hotels, and colleges. In addition to powering our branded products, Places powers customer applications ranging from maps, navigation, analytics and everything in between for tens of thousands developers.
This role on the Places Reporter sub-team will focus on building out the data ingestion pipeline infrastructure that the entire Places product is built on. Our suite of tools which enable Foursquare Superusers and employees to continually invest in making our Places data the best it can be.
In this role, you’ll
- Implement new features and enhancements to our core Places systems and data pipelines
- Work closely with the Product Management and Design teams to determine requirements and implementation specifications
- Collaborate with the Product Management, and the broader Places engineering teams to help enable a top notch customer experience that allows us to meet our data freshness and data quality goals
- Take responsibility and ownership of the development, deployment, and support of our production systems
- Drive technical reviews to ensure designs efficiently meet product requirements and user needs
What you’ll need
- 2-4 years of experience building full-stack software systems or big data processing pipelines
- Proficient in one or more general purpose programming languages, such as Java, Scala, or Python
- At ease with technology, able to quickly pick up new platforms and troubleshoot
- Proactive, able to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Your own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, we encourage and welcome you to still apply!
Benefits and Perks
- Fully Flexible Workplace - work from home, one of our offices or a combination of the two!
- Unlimited PTO - rest and recharge when you need it!
- Industry Leading Healthcare - comprehensive and competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- Savings and Investments - 401(k) with company match
- Home Office Setup - you get all necessary hardware and internet reimbursement
- Family Planning and Fertility Programs - programs via Carrot and Maven
- Employee Resource Groups - to help you stay connected
Things to know…
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Foursquare, we are committed to providing competitive pay and benefits that are in line with industry and market standards. Actual compensation packages are based on a wide array of factors unique to each candidate including but not limited to skill set, years & depth of experience, and specific office location.
Salary is just one component of Foursquare’s total compensation package, which includes restricted stock units, multiple health insurance options, and a wide range of benefits!