Software Engineer - Node Back Endat Foursquare
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by our mobile apps CityGuide and Swarm, as well as the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands, like Amazon, Microsoft, Samsung, Spotify, Uber, Airbnb and others.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Studio).
About the team:
The Studio team at Foursquare is set out to bring the most advanced geospatial technologies to the world that are powerful and easy to use. The team is building an analytics platform for accessing, enriching, analyzing and visualizing geospatial data. The Studio team members are authors of a suite of leading open-source geospatial technologies - kepler.gl, deck.gl and H3. By joining the team, you will have an opportunity to work with some of the best geospatial engineers in the industry.
About the Role:
Foursquare is looking for a Software Engineer to join the Studio Backend team and assume an essential role in building out advanced analytics services in Studio cloud on-prem, private and shared cloud offerings. You will work independently, provide technical leadership and guidance, and demonstrate initiative, professionalism and attention to detail.
What you’ll do:
- Design and build scalable, performant and maintainable services to power the Foursquare Studio Cloud
- Analyze intermediate customer requirements, research solutions, break down problems into executable plans and implement the required code
- Maintain and improve existing code with a pride of ownership and champion backend engineering best practices
- Write test automation, conduct code reviews, and take end-to-end ownership of deployments to production
- Manage project timelines, implementation design specifications, engineering system diagrams, documentation, testing and ongoing system support
- Work across multiple teams, identify technical stakeholders and drive consensus
- Work with product and sales teams to understand customer needs and translate them into backend engineering projects
- B.Sc. in a technical field such as computer science or equivalent experience
- At ease with technology, able to quickly pick up new platforms and troubleshoot
- Sound judgment, a high degree of professionalism, and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proactive, able to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
- Your own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, we encourage and welcome you to still apply!
Nice To Have:
- Experience with other Big Data technologies, like BigQuery, Snowflake, HDFS, Hive, Presto, Arrow, Parquet is always appreciated
- Experience with geospatial data
- Experience with spatial indexing systems: H3, S2, geohash
Technologies we use:
- Cloud stack: AWS and Google Cloud Platform
- Cloud deployment: Kubernetes, containers and Docker, Helm
- Language: TypeScript (Node.js) and Python
- Data stores: MySQL, Redis, GCS and S3
Benefits and perks:
- We are a fully flexible company that allows you to work from any location in Serbia or from our Belgrade office
- 25 days of paid vacation
- Private medical insurance
- Education stipend
- Home Office Setup, you get all the necessary hardware
- Summer Fridays, two non-working Fridays each July and August
- Learning and development programs
- Professional coaching
- Restricted Stock Units
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.