Senior Data Engineerat Foursquare
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by our mobile apps CityGuide and Swarm, as well as the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands, like Amazon, Microsoft, Samsung, Spotify, Uber, Airbnb and others.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Studio).
About the team
Foursquare’s Marketers Engineering team writes and operate the software which produce core data sets for our Marketers suite of products. These petabyte-scale pipelines process geospatial data for the purposes of marketing use cases, such as ad targeting and attribution. It’s critical to this team’s success that we have rich data sets to build our applications on top of, and this data is kept fresh, easy to explore, and simple to make changes. The engineers on this team work closely with application engineers to prove out variant approaches and introduce new functionality.
About the Position
In the Senior Data Software Engineer role, you will ship products with high visibility and strategic importance to Foursquare and contribute directly to the revenue. Our pipelines are written in a variety of programming languages and deployed to multiple orchestration platforms. The main technologies we work with are Spark, MapReduce, Amazon EMR, Ruby, Java, Scala, Python and Apache Airflow.
In this role, you’ll
- Write and operate the data pipelines which produce Foursquare’s core data sets for our Marketer's suite of products – Attribution and Targeting.
- Design data pipeline architecture and lead implementation of those designs.
- Train and support skills development of best practices for other software engineers.
- Document the expected and actual behavior of these pipelines, along with expectations for inputs and outputs.
- Monitor data quality and freshness, with a focus on proactively evaluating the business impact of changes. Report regularly on the state of the data sets and the software which produces them.
- Maintain a prioritized list of data questions and bugs which require further investigation. Escalate or delegate as needed to call attention to problems with the input data.
- Evaluate new sources of data, and build new pipelines that combine our data in creative ways that drive customer value.
- Participate in on-call rotation duties to ensure that data is correct and produced on-time, and to restore service when the pipelines are experiencing an outage.
What you’ll need
- 4-6 years of software development experience.
- Professional experience with at least one of Hadoop MapReduce and/or Spark data processing pipelines.
- Strong algorithms and data structures knowledge.
- Professional experience scripting with the Unix/Linux command line or Python.
- Experience with cloud computing service providers, such as AWS.
- Experience with containerization technologies, such as Docker, Mesos or Kubernetes.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Experience with CI/CD systems such as Jenkins, Travis, TeamCity, and CircleCI.
- Your own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, we encourage and welcome you to still apply!
Nice to have:
- Experience at marketing or ad-tech data companies: RTB / real-time bidding. DSP / demand-side platform.
- Experience with geospatial data processing.
- Experience mentoring other software engineers.
Benefits and Perks
- We are a fully flexible company that allows you to work from any location in Serbia or from our Belgrade office
- 25 days of paid vacation
- Private medical insurance
- Education stipend
- Home Office Setup, you get all the necessary hardware
- Summer Fridays, two non-working Fridays each July and August
- Learning and development programs
- Professional coaching
- Restricted Stock Units
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.